WFP & HRC

Fri Feb 25 12:02:52 PST 2000

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>

> > >On Behalf Of Doug Henwood
> >>
> >> Didn't Bill Clinton make his promise to allow same-sexers into the
> >> military before an audience of rich G/Ls? They got out their
> >> checkbooks and ended up with a stupid policy and more actual
> >> expulsions than before. I detect a pattern.
> >
> >Yes, a pattern of fulfilling part of promises, which is better than none.
> >
> >Discrimination against gays in all civilian areas of the government,
> >including the CIA and civilian military personnel, has been abolished
> >throughout the federal government. That the GOP and conservative Dems like
> >Sam Nunn were going to vote for a complete ban on gays in the military
> >forced the "don't ask, don't tell" policy as a compromise.

Oh, Clinton is so clever. How about genetic discrimination. His executive order for federal employees prohibits discrimination of the basis of genetic information. And he even includes a person's family history of, say, cystic fibrosis or huntington's disease as part of genetic information thus not reduced to an individual DNA test. Seems so liberal, so progressive. But then Slick Willie doesn't follow the Minnesota law and prohibit employer demand for such information once a conditional offer of employment has been made. This opens the door wide open for occupational discrimination (keeping employees out of certain risky, albeit attractive, occupations) and termination. Really Nathan, he's a bad guy. Yours, Rakesh