Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Feb 26 09:14:15 PST 2000

>>Yoshie:
>> Can capitalism continue to exist if North America, Western Europe, and
>> Japan were to be totally delinked from the rest of the world? I doubt
it.

>Why not? Europe thrived through the 50's, the 60's, the 70's...when, short
of
>oil, it was fairly delinked from it, at least economically. And oil would
not
>have been all that hard to replace: more public transportation, more coal,
gas
>and nuclear power.
>
>Enrique

It should be pointed out, though, that were the First World to delink from the Third, this would mean a cut-off off support for Third World elites who would consequently be overthrown (e.g. Saigon in '75 and Columbia today). (One of the odd things about Cockburn appearing on the same anti-war podium with Pat Buchanan is that Buchanan is not an anti-war isolationist. He supported America's attack on Nicaragua's Sandinistas) Then, I bet, the rest of the world would gang up on the much less populous First World.

Peter