Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 11:23:26 PST 2000

> It should be pointed out, though, that were the First World to delink from
> the Third, this would mean a cut-off off support for Third World elites
who
> would consequently be overthrown (e.g. Saigon in '75 and Columbia today).
> (One of the odd things about Cockburn appearing on the same anti-war
podium
> with Pat Buchanan is that Buchanan is not an anti-war isolationist. He
> supported America's attack on Nicaragua's Sandinistas) Then, I bet, the
rest
> of the world would gang up on the much less populous First World.
>
> Peter

Two things: first, just because 1st worlders were not out there fomenting disorder, 4 billion plus people are just gonna spontaneuously rise up and join together? (I don't know about you, but I have trouble getting more than 3 people to agree enough to order a pizza...) Second, we're long past the time when "human wave" techniques were very militarily effective. Do you really think this magically united third world would be able to make much of a dent against 1st world militaries, epecially without weaponry supplied by them?

Jim Baird