Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Sat Feb 26 10:49:14 PST 2000

>>>Yoshie:
>>> Can capitalism continue to exist if North America, Western Europe, and
>>> Japan were to be totally delinked from the rest of the world? I doubt
>it.
>>Why not? Europe thrived through the 50's, the 60's, the 70's...when, short
>of
>>oil, it was fairly delinked from it, at least economically. And oil would
>not
>>have been all that hard to replace: more public transportation, more coal,
>gas
>>and nuclear power.
>>Enrique

Really, Enrique?

1. Oil is the only raw material?

2.What about the Singer-Prebish thesis about worsening terms of trade? Why are you sure this made so little contribution to profitability and accumulation?

3. And what about the influx of immigrants (often recruited as single males, displacing reproduction costs to the third world, aka apartheid, not delinking) whose labor widened all kinds of bottlenecks and helped to rebuild Europe after its thirty year bout of fraticide? Turkish miners in Belgium's Borinage area? Turks in Germany's Cologne plants? Immigrants from developing countries everywhere in the most highly dangerous and high risk jobs, and working the most amount of overtime? TO SAY NOTHING OF POLICE ABUSE about which the mass of the population remained and remains unconcerned.

And for the last thirty years Europe and the US have been getting gratis a whole lot of human capital that had been formed elsewhere (you may see some evidence of this in your dept).

Europe delinked...Only in the imaginary of Enoch Powell and Joerg Haider. What a disturbing little conversation to be had with no evidence and counter evidence but dubious trade/GDP ratios?

Best, Rakesh