IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N30 middle class anarchists

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sun Feb 27 10:31:00 PST 2000

John--

You are absolutely right that white kids have been involved in prison issues. In California, where I gather you are, the student movement against the prison boom is pretty multi-racial and I'm actually discussing it in my piece as one of the exceptions to the whiteness of the std anti-corp movement, along with the campaigns against tuition increases, which you also mention. [Robin Templeton discusses the California youth movement against Prop 21 in this week's Nation] So we agree. However, on the East Coast, the student anti-prison movement is only just heating up, and isn't anywhere near what it is in California -- nor is it nearly as widespread as the whiter movements (No Sweat, anti-WTO, etc). Students for a Sensible Drug POlicy, which is based in DC,is gearing up for what may be an interesting campaign against Sodexho-Marriott, which operates a lot of campus dining halls and is the largest investor in US private prisons

Liza