Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Sun Feb 27 11:57:12 PST 2000

>>Brad De Long wrote:
>>
>>>Imports from countries with GDP per worker levels less than half that >of
>>the U.S. amount to 0.9% of U.S. GDP. Even if all those goods were
>>>obtained by the U.S. at a price of only 1/3 their fair value, that
>>>still means that less than 2% of the American standard of living
>>>comes from exploitation of the Third World.
>>>
>>As I said, I don't think it's possible to quantify the benefits of
economic
>>imperialism...
>>

>>Ted Dace
>
>Do you know anything about what commodities flow across national borders?
>

>Brad DeLong

I believe you're trying to get around the real issue by focusing on the irrelevant particulars of international trade in commodities. (Obviously the US exports a great deal of raw goods, particularly agricultural goods, if that's what you were getting at with your condescending question.) Even perfect knowledge of international trade in commodities would not be nearly enough to enable us to quantify the benefits of imperialism for the US. That was the point of my post. Do you have any response to it?

Ted