What's Missing?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Feb 29 08:55:43 PST 2000

The Nation sucks, period. Now we hear that the awful liberal writer, John Nichols, has infected the magazine. The Progressive magazine went downhill as soon as they hired him as a regular columnist. Nichols cheerleading for the Democrats is pretty awful, if not downright boring. I used to subscribe to both magazines, but didn't renew in disgust of how they were embracing Clintonism and the neoliberal agenda.

The Nation is hardly a progressive magazine anymore. It's a coffetable magazine for New York liberals who like to go on Carribean cruises with Christopher Hitchens. The addition of Nichols is logical, given the current nature of the magazine.

Good luck, Marta. Your concerns are valid ones. I've started work on making my website more accessible to the disabled, but this project will take time, given my scarce resources.

Chuck0

Marta Russell wrote:

> A friend of mine who teaches disability studies posted
> this to another listserve.
> He asked, what's missing?
>
> progressives get up in
> > the morning and go about the work of fighting racism,
> sexism and
> > homophobia, defending the environment, organizing
> trade unions and
> > tackling corporate hegemony.
>
> The answer is -- there is no mention of disability or
> ableism. Progressives, in the Nation's view, obviously
> aren't in the work of fighting disability
> discrimination or ableism. What's worse, given its
> omission of our issues for decades, I suspect that the
> Nation thinks they should not be in the work of
> fighting ableism. I am beginning to wonder if there
> aren't some ableists in key positions there making sure
> disability isn't included.
>
> If anyone has Victor Navatsky's email or other
> pertinent email addresses, we could use them.
>
> thanks,
> marta
>
> So, what's missing in this message and why? David

-- << Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe