Sweeney on trade

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 29 10:01:47 PST 2000

>I invite everyone else to read that statement
><http://www.aflcio.org/convention99/res1_6.htm> and consider if this
>is an accurate characterization. "Deep debt relief" and global
>redistribution don't strike me as terribly imperialist.
>
>Doug

And don't forget what's not in that statement of Sweeney's Davos comments. No criticism of the absence of commodity stabilization mechanisms, no criticism of the TRIM and TRIP regulations that are the real focus of US imperialism, no recognition of the hypocricy of MFA protection when liberalization is being forced on the rest of the world and the US sucks up everyone's capital. So we redistribute upward first, and then some trickle back down. This is just cruel stuff on a collosal scale--I am not going to apologize for it because I don't have any stake in Sweeney and am not impressed by his Seattle orgy. And no evidence that global redistribution via deep debt relief (which is just a practical recognition of insolvency) will be more than another Baker Plan. There are no details or specifics at all.

Yours, Rakesh