Naderites Craft "Fix It or Nix It" Campaign

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 1 12:11:42 PST 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>But given America's current politics, "reform" or elimination of the IMF
>and the WTO will push us toward an America that Pat Buchanan likes and not
>toward an America that Lori Wallach likes, no?

I don't know. I really wonder how large Buchanan's constituency - elite or popular - really is. His poll numbers are pretty low (and his negatives are pretty high). Snarling xenophobia really doesn't seem to play that well; Reagan and Clinton both succeeded politically with an echt American message of optimism and expansiveness. Maybe a serious recession would improve Buchanan's fortunes, but that would be another story.

Doug