Populism (as shown in *The Progressive Populist*

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 1 16:07:05 PST 2000

Chip Berlet wrote:

>Anyone with a library card can discover that there have
>been over two dozen books on populism written since 1980,

Hey, who needs a library card if you post stuff like this here?

A couple of questions:

How large a constituency do you think there is for right-wing populism? Do you agree with my rather complacent assessment of the Buchanan threat, for example?

And how much do you think the U.S. antiglobalization movement draws on this?

>6) Americanism--a form of patriotic nationalism--often promoting ethnocentric,
>nativist, or xenophobic fears that immigrants bring alien ideas and
>customs that
>are toxic to our culture.

Doug