Berlet on Populism

Hep Ingham hingham at igc.apc.org
Mon Jan 3 19:28:46 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----

From: Max Sawicky

One could translate this, uncharitably, to be saying,

instead of talking like academics, they act like politicians.

I'm afraid demonization and scapegoating is the mother's

milk of ALL popular politics. Just pause and reflect how

much demonization could be found right here on LBO, from

all political corners. Maybe Adlai Stevenson and George

McGovern never stooped to such tactics, but we know what

happened to them. FDR had the 'economic royalists.'

In 1965, Stevenson, with a favorable reference to the US suppression of the Greek anti-fascists in 1947, supported the US involvement in Vietnam by calling it "defense against internal aggression." The US Air Force was bombing the population into Strategic Hamlets in an effort to protect them from their own nationalist supporters who were fighting against the US, that's internal aggression. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20000103/70cd2f57/attachment.html>