Alexander Cockburn, foody

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 5 09:53:55 PST 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

>[A sample of Alexander Cockburn's current column in NY Press. What
>is it with all these epicurean pieces of his lately -- is AC bucking
>for a job as a food critic?]

He actually did a stint with House & Garden some years back.

>Thank God for the extirpation of "unattractive" coffee cups. I
>can't wait to read AC's next dispatch from Humboldt, emblematic of
>America's world-historical rise as a Nation of Connoisseurs!

Sorry, I'm with AC on this one (though I wonder about the grub at Gunstock). What is wrong with liking good food and good coffee and attractive cups? Why shouldn't beauty and pleasure figure prominently in life? Are we all supposed to don hair shirts, look grimly purposeful, and eat only to take nutrients on board? I'm happy to see the U.S. losing some of its awful puritan inheritance (yeah, I know that's not fair to the Puritans, but you know what I mean).

Doug