Alexander Cockburn, foody

Pahtoo at aol.com Pahtoo at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 10:06:38 PST 2000

I worry less about "unattractive" coffee cups than I do about the waste of resources from Starbuck's, etc., cups made of tree flesh. And, what about the politics of coffee? How many indigenous cultures have gone under due to the world's appetite for this addictive, though FDA-approved, Colombian stimulant?

I once saw the Dutch movie, "Max Havelar" which was all about coffee imperialism in the East Indies. I came out of the theater swearing off coffee and looking to kidnap Henry Kissinger.

Michael Donnelly