bourgeois highdomes

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Wed Jan 5 10:26:30 PST 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:
> In the wider world outside the academy, where I live now, an intelligent,
> educated, well-read thoughtful person could live her whole life and never
> hear of it or register its characteristic themes. I doubt whether the judge I
> clerk for has a clue what it is. Do you think she's missing anything?

Maybe. There are pomo theories of law,if you want to count hermeneutics as pomo. Hermeneutics (I think Habermas and Dworkin engage it) tries to find methods and ways of interpreting legal texts and go beyond the quandries of legal positivism and natural rights theories. I haven't read enough of this stuff to comment much more. It might be better to say legal theorists who are influenced by hermeneutics and pomo theory. BUt just how much influence does academic legal theorizing have on the actual practice of law? You pointed out how Posner's academic work and his actual legal work are different.

I still have unread copies of HLA Hart lying around.

Sam Pawlett