propping up a dead AG

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 06:59:06 PST 2000

>"I would not only reappoint Mr Greenspan, but if Mr Greenspan should
>die, God forbid, I would do like they did in the movie Weekend at
>Bernie's. I would prop him up and put a pair of dark glasses on him."
> - Sen. John McCain

In the same spirit, from today's Slate: "La Repubblica of Rome ran a front-page comment Wednesday comparing the reappointment of Greenspan to the Italian peasant tradition of carrying in procession a statue of the Holy Protector to placate the weather. 'Yesterday Bill Clinton raised the blessed icon of Alan Greenspan in the world's central square against the sudden and furious storm that is sweeping through the stock markets,' it said."

Carl