Revolution #9 - It ain't just Rage Against the Machine

Scott Marshall scott at rednet.org
Thu Jan 6 19:47:05 PST 2000

<From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> Subject: Revolution Number 9>

It ain't just Rage Against the Machine. It's happening in country bluegrass too

From the latest Iris DeMent CD:

Wasteland of the Free

We got preachers dealin' in politics and diamond mines And their speech is growing increasingly unkind They say they are Christ's Disciples But they don't look like Jesus to me And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

We got politicians runnin' races on corporate cash Now don't tell me they don't turn around and kiss them people's ass Now you may call me old-fashioned But that don't fit my picture of a true democracy And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

We got CEO's makin' 200 times the worker's pay But they'll fight like hell against rasin' the minimum wage And if you don't like it mister They'll ship your job to some third world country 'cross the sea And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

Chorus: Living in the wasteland of the free Where the poor have now become the enemy Let's blame our troubles on the weak ones Sounds like some kind of Hitler remedy Living in the wasteland of the free

We got little kids with guns fightin' inner city wars So what do we do, we put these little kids behind prison doors And we call ourselves the advanced civilization But that sounds like crap to me And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

We got high school kids runnin' around in Calvin Klein and Guess Who can't pass a 6th grade reading test But if you ask them, they can tell you The name of every crotch on MTV And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

We kill for oil and then we throw a party when we win Some guy refuses to fight and we call that the sin But he's standin' up for what he believes in And that seems pretty damned American to me And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

Repeat chorus

While we sit gloating on our greatness Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea And it feels like I'm livin' in the wasteland of the free

-Iris Dement

From her latest album - The way I should

By the way, Randy Scruggs, Earl Scruggs son, plays twelve string guitar on this cut as well as most of the rest. And Earl dropped in on a song or two.

Yee Haw, Scott