Mumia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 8 09:10:27 PST 2000

[bounced bec of a taboo word]

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 01:22:53 -0500 From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> Subject: Re: Cooper on Mumia

Chuck0 wrote:
>> What foolish decisions are you talking about, Chuck?
>* Concentrating the decision-making process in the hands of a few people

In so far as local actions are concerned, decision-making hasn't been concentrated in the hands of anyone. What leftists do here in Columbus, Ohio isn't controlled by anyone elsewhere. Sometimes, Free Mumia actions were called by young white anarchists in the Anti-Racist Action. Other actions were organized by black nationalists, on and off campus. Occasionally, religious leftists took the lead. For all actions, everyone cooperated well. Columbus is a small town that is not hospitable to any leftist politics, so one's organizational affiliation (*if* one has any) has little to do with who works with whom. When an action is small, it means that those who called the action didn't make enough phone calls, made a blunder of calling a demo on the day when some other major leftist event was happening, or something like that. For better or worse, left politics in the USA is *extremely decentralized*.

>* The failure to make Mumia's case part of a larger, unified campaign
>against the death penalty. The inability of Mumia supporters to lift a
>finger to help other folks on death row.

This isn't true. Local people who show up for Free Mumia actions also show up for anti-death penalty actions. The problem is that *most Americans don't think that we should fight to abolish death penalty* and that leftists have not been able to change this fact. Also, we have *no left political party that can unify various single-issue campaigns*. That's the tragedy.

Marc Cooper asks, "Now you want to take the deathly serious issue of capital punishment and tie it to some flaky cult-member like Mumia Abu-Jamal?" Contradicting himself, he writes later in the same article, "Most death row prisoners aren't so cuddly, so politically correct, as Mumia." It appears that his complaint is that while he is against death penalty, he dislikes most death row prisoners, including Mumia, because they are either "flaky" or not so "cuddly"! He basically suggests that only respectable people should have the chance of getting their rights defended by leftists. If any leftists can be said to be doing harm to the cause of death penalty abolition, it is journalists like Cooper, if Cooper can be still considered leftist, that is.

Meanwhile, Mumia himself and his supporters are doing what they can, given the conditions under which we live.

***** Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:38:35 -0700 From: "Sis. Marpessa" <nattyreb at ix.netcom.com> Subject: !*"A Man Called 'Shaka'" by Mumia Abu-Jamal

FORWARDED ARTICLE =====================

From: Mark Clement <MClement at bruderhof.com> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:44:11 -0500

FROM MUMIA ABU-JAMAL A MAN CALLED "SHAKA" Column Written 1/3/2000 Mumia Abu-Jamal All Rights Reserved

On September 5th, 1999, the man born as Gary Graham marked his 36th year in life, and his 18th year in a Texas cage. Several years ago, the black death row prisoner changed his name to Shaka Sankofa, after the great founder of the Zulu Empire of southern Africa. For years, he has been fighting for his life, most recently against one of the most brutal killing states in America. Texas leads the nation in executions, spurred, at least in part, by the presidential aspirations of its Governor, George W. Bush.

Supporters from as diverse a grouping as the Pope, the Nation of Islam, and the national Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty have been critical of some aspects of his trial, and called for either clemency or a new trial. Sankofa's trial was marred by conflicting witnesses, ballistics evidence that cleared his weapon from the killing, and even alibi testimony placing him miles away from the crime scene, yet much of this wasn't brought out to the jury.

Five times Sankofa has faced the gallows and five times he has been granted last minute stays of execution.

What disturbs many observers is the provision of Texas law that disallows evidence of innocence that does not come within that state's narrow time frame. Supporters of Sankofa have released a CD featuring music and spoken word to support his new trial efforts called "Let the Evidence be Heard."