Ecuador

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 9 18:28:42 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>So anyone have independent insight or news on the crisis in Ecuador? With
>Chavez's rise in Venezuala, the strong showing of the left candidate
>in Uraguay,
>and now these mass demonstrations, there does seem to be a real revival of
>populist and labor oppositions in Latin America.
>
>But there has been remarkably little written or said about these
>events in left
>publications or these lists, so I hope to hear anyone with info.

I did a segment on my radio show about Ecuador a few months ago. As I remember, the story was pretty typical - massive corruption, ecological disaster, economic maldevelopment, etc. But there's enough organized opposition that the government has been unable to push through the typical austerity program.

That exhausts my knowledge.

Doug