What *object* or *entity* does psychology study?

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jan 9 19:44:09 PST 2000

On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 19:18:15 -0600 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:
>Doug writes:
>
>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >What is a theory of psychology a theory *of*?
> >
> >Off hand, I can't see any reason for having one.
>
> So why are you clinically depressive? Even if you give a
>biologically
> based answer, you've got a theory of psychology.
>
>One can reduce depression *in the abstract* to chemical activity in
>the brain. But in every person that chemical activity is a constituent
>in a unique history (an ensemble of social relations), which is so
>extraordinarily complex that neither now nor in the future can
>one elaborate a "science" that will apply to particular people. One
>can have a theory of neuroscience and one can have a theory of
>social relations. One cannot have a theory of the individual. So
>what can a psychological theory be *of*.
>
>Qualification: Learning theory is perhaps possible and needed -- and I
>believe some progress in learning theory (separable from either
>neurology
>or social relations) has been made. But it also probably ought to have
>its
>own name.

Many of the radical behaviorists (disciples of BF Skinner) now a days prefer to call their discipline behaviorology in order to distinguish it from psychology which they regard as a kind of pseudoscience. Skinner did regard learning theory as being distinguishable from neuroscience but was like neuroscience in being a natural science.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.