Further Note on the possibility of literary criticism.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 9 21:19:11 PST 2000

Here's an even better example than those I gave to test the possibility of literary criticism as a systematic study. In that post I wrote as follows:

Also active here may be a premise that TOEs make sense. But the

futility of any TOE, even one turns out to be true in physics,

astrophysics, and cosmology, is not going to be possible in social studies

in general.

Now obviously, this is a nonsense passage as it stands. Can its "intended" meaning be reconstructed? How confident can we be of such a reconstruction? Does it make sense to hypothesize an intention independent of the actual words produced? (Incidentally, it is not at all obvious to me what I "intended." The second sentence, as it stands, is pretty opaque.)

Carrol