What *object* or *entity* does psychology study?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 10 06:58:01 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>In a communist society, if human beings ever achieve it, historical
>materialism is not likely to be an indispensable tool, and thus it can
>imagine its own future irrelevance and hopes to achieve it (and that is why
>Marx & Engels refrained from speaking in detail about what communism will
>be like, except in a negative manner, "limited for the most part to what
>will disappear").

Wow, this sounds almost religious - a Paradise on earth, a transcendence of history and materialism, but something about which we fallen mortals can neither think nor speak. But without any god involved, except maybe the revolutionary working class.

As for the argument that linking Christianity with revolution is Eurocentric - isn't Marxism itself of European origin? And hasn't Christianity had a massive influence in Latin America, Africa, and even parts of Asia?

Doug