What *object* or *entity* does psychology study?

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jan 10 08:33:36 PST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:58:01 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>In a communist society, if human beings ever achieve it, historical
>>materialism is not likely to be an indispensable tool, and thus it
>can
>>imagine its own future irrelevance and hopes to achieve it (and that
>is why
>>Marx & Engels refrained from speaking in detail about what communism
>will
>>be like, except in a negative manner, "limited for the most part to
>what
>>will disappear").
>
>Wow, this sounds almost religious - a Paradise on earth, a
>transcendence of history and materialism, but something about which
>we fallen mortals can neither think nor speak. But without any god
>involved, except maybe the revolutionary working class.

Historical materialism as formulated by Marx & Engels seems to be largely a theory of history which is applicable to societies which evolve more or less blindly on the basis of economic and political forces. A communist society as envisioned by Marx & Engels would evolve on the basis of conscious planning so I am not altogether sure what the relevance of historical materialism would be under such circumstances.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.