2000-01-10 OMB Fact Sheet

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jan 10 17:48:28 PST 2000

[Max, what's with this nonsense?]

THE WHITE HOUSE

Seems straight-forward, business as usual. What's the question?

But seriously, folks. Don't forget that the caps were busted in the first place, so we're talking about a .38 percent cut from the higher level. There's still growth after taking out .38 percent.

It's entertaining to see the WH whacking the earmarks, since these were the glue for the deal in the first place. First these clowns concoct all their little projects ("the Arlen Spector National Library of Medicine"). Then they try to look fiscally conservative by invoking the across-the-board cut which the Clintonoids "regretfully" accept, with the proviso that they can decide where to do the cuts. Then the WH starts cutting the projects. As Homer Simpson would say, "Doh . . . !"

The WH has routinely outmaneuvered the Congressional Repugs. Or else the latter are in the tank. Take your pick. I think it's something of both. The real story is this new hundred-billion plus program, set to grow like Topsy for the next 25 years, called "paying back the debt."

mbs