What *object* or *entity* does psychology study?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 11 11:09:19 PST 2000

At 05:12 PM 1/10/00 -0500, Doug wrote:
>No, but it's also not likely to make struggles over power and
>resources disappear. The notion that historical materialism wouldn't
>be needed after the abolition of capitalism makes it sound like they
>would. That's what struck me as religious. I think Foucault had a
>point when he said that Marxism was a dream of an end to History.

I think that point was made earlier by Alexander Gerschenkron and the Polish Marxist-turned-reactionary Leszek Kolakowski.

I think Gerschenkron's point is particularly interesting. He argued that the October Revolution (or at least its outcome) was nothing more than the implementation of Western European (esp. German) institutions and industrial organization to overcome Russia's backwardness (a somewhat similar argument was also proposed by Michael Burawoy) - Marxism was adopted as a civil religion to mobilize the massess and secure their support for the government industrialization project. It may explain why Marxism was selectively modified and rejected by the Soviet ruling elites.

I may add that Marxism was not unique in this respect - Huczynski (_Management gurus : what makes them and how to become one,_ London: International Thomson Business Press, 1996) argues that virtually every social science theory or hypothesis can be molded into a managerial ideology. Not to mention possible transformations into cult ideology (cf. freudism).

wojtek