Antisocial Insecurity

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jan 11 20:07:19 PST 2000

Mattcapri at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/11/00 7:19:42 PM, ap888 at lafn.org writes:
>
> <<I assume this is for SSDI - Despite all the dissing of lawyers lately, my
> first
> concern is do you have a lawyer that knows Social Security disability law?
> Usually, though not always, an administrative law judge (ALJ) will rule in
> favor of the one who is disabled, especially if doctors have *correctly* done
> their job to prove the case.>>
>
> I have been working with paralegals from a non-profit while giving some
> thought to contacting a lawyer about this. My physicians are willing to say
> whatever magic words it takes to get me back on the rolls. Can you say with
> any expertise that representation by a lawyer would get better results?
> mcapri

The only advantage I see is thata a lawyer known to the ALJs might lend some more credibility and weight to your side. But if your paralegal is experienced and knows the system and people there, s/he could be equally effective. I can't really say.

"Unable to engage in *any* substantial gainful activity" I believe is the term of art a physician should use.

Marta