Civil Society Marches Toward Global Governance

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 12 11:05:36 PST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Michael, I have not read Maren's book (I'm putting it on my reading list,
> though), so I cannot comment on his specific claims, but I would be
> extermely suspicious of any claim revealing secret evidence of a UN-linked
> conspiracy.

I'm sorry if I've misrepresented his book. It's not a conspiracy theory by any means. His charges in this area are much more akin to charges of tax evasion and commercialization -- essentially it is a charge of book cooking. And he does not assert that it is a secret that UN funds go to NGOs. He writes as if this was openly avowed by the both the UN and the NGOs, which is why your assertion that there was no such funding grabbed my attention. His argument was simply that the specific numbers are not divulged and not disaggregated in their reports. It was my suggestion based on his argument that perhaps these funds could be missed entirely if one made a statement about sources of NGO funding based on those reports. It was clear in the case of Care that the monies involved were significant.

Michael