Civil Society Marches Toward Global Governance

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 12 11:13:55 PST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> The total nonprofit revenues in the US are in the vicinity of $600
> billion, in Western European countries that figure is anywhere between
> $5b and $100b - so even if the UN support for nonprofits were measured
> in millions (which I doubt), that would still be a drop in a bucket.

The documents Maren found for Care showed that they received $9 million for one year's work in Somalia from the UNHCR. And that's one UN Agency, one NGO and one country for one year, so it suggests more than a few drops.

But let me be clear -- I don't dispute for a moment your larger assertion that UN funding is dwarfed by funding by other sources. Even in overseas operations like Somalia or Rwanda, it is doubtless dwarfed by USAID and similar national organizations. But it seems more than possible that UN funding to NGOs for such operations (which is what most people think of when they think of NGOs, for better or worse) is not insignificant, as you originally asserted. That very modest claim is really all I am suggesting.

Michael