Valid Conspiracy Theory

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 13 12:06:26 PST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>That is a great irony of the U.S. dictatorship.

It's not a dictatorship. That's too simple. It's a lot more complicated than that. One of the many problems with "conspiracy" is that it effaces all those complexities. Though freedom of expression is hardly limitless, we have no small amount of liberty to say what we want. Ditto freedom of organization. We can vote. We can find out what the hell is going on. Yet the ruling class continues to rule. In extreme moments they resort to coercion and force, but not in "normal" times. You don't have to believe me - ask a good Red like Gramsci.

Doug