Subject: Re: bleh

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 15 15:06:15 PST 2000

John Halle wrote:

>It is not obvious to me that many of the threads addressed on this list
>would seem to meet this criterion for relevance. Dialectical materialism,
>and other points of Marxist theory generally, the epistemic status of
>post-structuralism, the historical background of populism, micro-economic
>analyses of the financial policy of Nazi Germany-all these threads, and
>many others, I have found interesting to dip into, and am grateful for the
>education they have provided me. However, I have had a sneaking suspicion
>that they are of purely intellectual interest only and of marginal utility
>for "movement building."

I wouldn't want to subject all discourse to the test of political relevance. I thought the conspiracy thread had played itself out to the point where people were firing rounds from fixed positions, the discursive equivalent of trench warfare. I think the threads you mentioned - populism, naziism, postism, etc. - are pretty relevant politically, aside from being intellectually interesting. I'm quite interested in hearing what you or anyone else might think *is* of political urgency. I'm tired of being irrelevant.

Doug