Irrelevance of Relevance. was Re: Subject: Re: bleh

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 15 15:20:28 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Halle wrote:
>
> >[SNIP]all these threads, and
> >many others, I have found interesting to dip into, and am grateful for the
> >education they have provided me. However, I have had a sneaking suspicion
> >that they are of purely intellectual interest only and of marginal utility
> >for "movement building."
>
> I'm quite
> interested in hearing what you or anyone else might think *is* of
> political urgency. I'm tired of being irrelevant.

An actually existing movement would define "relevance" for political topics. In the absence of such a movement (and in respect to such a still really unexplored medium as maillists) you would have to be pretty arrogant to state with any confidence what was and was not relevant. Maillists seem to be a pretty individualist medium -- so relevance I suppose is determined by each subscriber's personal kill files or delete habits.

Carrol