King

John Graf jgraf at jvlnet.com
Mon Jan 17 11:03:46 PST 2000

As I listen on the radio to ceremonies commemorating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I'm wondering what perspectives list members here have of Dr. King's legacy.

What kinds of successes can be attributed to the work of those who might be grouped in a "King wing" of the civil rights movement?

To what extent has it been necessary for other elements of the movements for justice and peace to build upon, revise, or reject the strategies and analysis that underscored the King philosophy?

What is the role of the "great" leader in social movements?

To what extent does the work of King represent a tendency vulnerable to political compromise?

How can the unwanted consequences of compromise--in terms of small gains overshadowed by lingering unfinished business on matters of race, social and economic justice for all oppressed groups, and peace--be minimized?

Is there hope for the formation of a multi-racial, multi-issue organization big and tough enough to wield power and keep itself together, so that we may create the kinds of changes we need?

At what point do the smaller organizations coalesce into such a force?

Are these kinds of questions useful in examining how to proceed in the wake of Seattle?

I await the wisdom of movement intellectual elders.

John Graf Janesville, Wisconsin