Fw: (en) [ecuador] beginnning of popular indigenous uprising 15.1(???)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 18 07:21:29 PST 2000

Just got this in my e-mail. Don't read Spanish but the Ecuadoran newspaper, elcomercio has a long story on the protests. Worth watching, though I'm doubtful this is the beginning of an insurrection as some are jumping to that conlusion based on a widely distributed e-mail of a about 4 days ago made some North American comrades believe breathlessly.

Michael Pugliese ...................................................................... http://www.elcomercio.com/ecuador/protestaecuador.html

............................................................................ ... ----- Original Message ----- From: el desaparecido <desaparecido at gmx.de> To: <caravan99 at list.free.de>; <pga_seattle99 at listbot.com>; <a-infos at tao.ca> Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 4:15 AM Subject: (en) [ecuador] beginnning of popular indigenous uprising 15.1

> [...]
> marches all over the country, under the proposal convoked by the
> National Parliament of the Peoples of Ecuador .
>
> On Monday January 17th, in the presence of Monsigneur Alberto Luna Tobar,
> the amplified Parlament will be instated, while the Permanent Comission
> (Comisión Permanente) has remained in session without a rest since
> Tuesday January 11th, the day of its instalation. The aproved
> decrees refer to: state deragoutory for emergency; civil disobidience
> against the "dollarization"; judicial and civil indictments
> against Jamil Mahuad for treason; a total fight against corruption, who's
> power is delegated to the provincial parliaments and the National
> Parliament of the Peoples of Ecuador
> .
>
> spanish original : www.amarc.org/pulsar
>
> Information for Latin America via Internet

> Ecuador: In a day of indigenous uprising, popular leaders and unionists
are
> oppressed by security forces.
> By Marlon Carrión C.

> QUITO, Ecuador. - In response to the uprising of the indigenous people of
> Ecuador, the government put into practice a National State of Emergency,
> which had been in fact declared several days ago.
>
> In the early morning hours three union and popular leaders were arrested
by
> masked policemen. The detentions were effected by members of public
> security who forcibly broke into the houses of Luis Villacís, Ciro Guzmán
> José Chávez. Doors and windows were smashed. The detainees say and their
> families say that the arms-brandishing agents hit them and threatened them
> with death.
>
> Since there is a State of Emergency, the detainees will be taken before a
> military tribunal instead of a civil court. They are being held on
charges
> of endangering the internal security of the State.
>
> For its part, the Conference of Indigenous Nations of Ecuador said that
its
> vice-president, Ricardo Ulcuango, had to be removed to an unknown location
> after having escaped government agents who had captured him.
>
> The same sort of situation is occuring with the leaders of the Coordinator
> of Social Movements, which in conjunction with the Conaie declared the
> popular and indigenous uprising for the overthrow of President Jamil
> Mahaud.
> Monsignor Albertos Luna Tobar, President of the National Parliament of the
> People of Ecuador, protested and rejected the actions of the police and
the
> military in detaining the union leaders. Other political leaders have
made
> similar protests.
>
> The Popular Parliament is a democratic forum composed of indigenous
natives,
> farmers and city people, that rejects the economic politics of Mahaud.
The