Democrazia Cristiana Tedesca

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Jan 18 14:35:44 PST 2000

At 10:45 18/01/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Chris asked:
>> What left wing statement on the imprisonment of Egon Krenz would have been
>> meaningful?
>>
>> I do not mean an abstractly correct marxist theoretical analysis.
>Chris,
>I dont think there can be anything like an 'abstractly correct marxist
>theoretical analysis'. Either an marxist analysis is concrete or its not
>marxist, but you actually mean empty propagandistic phrases? Oder?
>> I mean in
>> the context of a party standing for elections in the bourgeois parliament.
>Do you want to say any party that is standing elections for a bourgeois
>parliament has to be reformist by definition?
>> I thought the PDS pitched it pretty usefully. Perhaps you know of a
>better
>> position statement?
>At the moment no one cares so much about Egon Krenz, since we got the
>Democrazia Christiana Tedesca. German TV is much fun at the moment, all
>channels spell CDU like Mafia.
>Johannes

Yes most enjoyable. The talk shows are actually exciting. Even if I cannot get all the nuances I can get the body language.

I see Kohl has given up his honorary presidentship of the party today.

And Kanther from Hesse has resigned his seat.

This really has an international significance. It is more than that Germans have been discovered to behave like Italians. I do not know if you would agree, but in some ways the German constitution was set up by the allies to be a model of rational bourgeois democracy. The fact that it too has been hit by the severe funding scandals shows this is one of the most vulnerable areas of the bourgeois system.

It suggests radical democrats should be able to make headway in most countries with a prolonged campaign to restrict capitalist funding of political parties.

Why is Kohl resisting naming the donors so steadfastly? Is it just that some of them are arms dealers?

On the other points

>Do you want to say any party that is standing elections for a bourgeois
>parliament has to be reformist by definition?

No.

Chris Burford

London