U of Toronto Teaching Assistant Strike

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:12:16 PST 2000

--- Begin Forwarded Message ---

If anyone is interested in following the TA strike at the U of Toronto the details can be found here:

http://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/strikeinfo/

Basically, 2400 of us went on strike two weeks ago. In the first week the admin cancelled 52 spring courses taught by CUPE 3902 members. As of Feb. 4 *all* courses requiring TAs will be restructured so that their labour will no longer be required (in other words, all 2400 unionised employees will be canned). We're received support from a TA union at Yale, from the Canadian Autoworkers Association, the Canadian Labour Congress and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, National Division (at least there are the letters I've seen so far). The fight isn't going well, replacement workers have been hired in several departments. TAs have been asked to work despite being locked out. The U of T administration is refusing to negotiation with the union (CUPE 3902). I can supply more details if people are interested, on or offlist. The key issue in the debate is wage parity with another TA union and tuition relief (such relief has been received by TA unions at York, McMaster and Western).

mobilized, ken