Orientalism Revisited (was RE: G. Bush: US in Holy War Against Iraq?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 22 15:59:52 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> In short, Said obscures the origin of Orientalism by falsely assimilating
> the world before capitalism (including ancient Greece!) to our modern world.

One feature of eurocentrism (in many or most of its manifestations) is the inclusion of ancient Greece and Rome in "Europe." Europe (the Europe which is a creation of capitalism) in a sense "colonized" those civilizations after the fact, a manufacturing of geneology captured in such words as "Kaiser" and "Tsar." Someone some day may be able to write a long book on this theme, taking as their central text the near 70 years of the comic strip Prince Valiant.

Carrol