wanniski, krugman, samuelson

T. C. Frank wedelbe at gsbalum.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:07:46 PST 2000

But is Samuelson the real thing? Sure, he talks a lot about economics, and he throws the weight of his expertise around a good deal (mainly in order to discredit his detractors), but certain of his remarks lead me to doubt his bona-fides. Does he really have a Ph.D.? When did he get it and from where? The reason this is important is that "genuine," fully accredited economists use the Ph.D. or lack thereof to disqualify commentary by people like me and Doug; Samuelson does the same thing -- acting just like an economist in this respect -- but somehow he doesn't seem to have the goods. Economists are in some ways one of the last scholarly groups to be able to hide with almost complete impunity behind their professional expertise; it is intriguing that non-economists seek to shelter there with them. Another offender in this regard is the irritating Meredith Bagby of Third Millennium fame, who both insists that economists are the leading geniuses of our age and then claims actually to be one, simply by virtue of her interest in matters monetary.

TCF