Responsibility

walter daum WGDCC at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Mon Jan 24 15:53:56 PST 2000

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:07:50 -0500 Wojtek Sokolowski said:

>Charles, I argued that the while the left's critique of the crimizal
>justice system was justified in the past because that system was used to
>suppress working class movement - that critiqu is NOT justified today,
>because the crimnal justice system is not used in that capacity anymore.

Not so. It was just used in New York City to suppress a possible transit workers' strike. Mayor Giuliani got a judge to issue an injunction fining the union a million dollars and each worker $25,000 for the first strike day, with the fines doubling each day, along with jail time -- not just for striking but for any act or utterance that suggested a strike or even used the word.

At a mass meeting the workers nevertheless voted unanimously to strike, but (to make an interesting story short) their leadership decided to settle for a lot less than the members wanted and were willing to strike for. Giuliani had workers' demonstrations heavily patrolled by cops; and the day after the settlement, the subways were swarming with them, looking out for any hint of a workers' slowdown.

The criminal justice system was used precisely to squelch working-class action. And it succeeded, at least for the moment. (There remains a campaign to reject the proposed contract ....)

I'm sure there are other examples in other places. This just happened to be one I know about firsthand.

Walter Daum