Meaning of Kohl, Kohle and Bimbes

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Jan 25 15:45:37 PST 2000

At 10:51 25/01/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Chris Burford wrote:
>> [an excellent account of the honourable Kohleone family, snipped ]
>> "Kohl" colloquially in German also means "money", interestingly enough.
>Chris,
>sorry to correct you here, the word you mean is 'Kohle' (coal), but Kohl
>literally means 'cabbage'. Intellectuals liked to play with that meaning of
>his name at the early days of his reign. Now he is sometimes beeing referred
>to as having been the Bimbeskanzler. Bimbes is a slang word from Kohls home
>area, the Palatinate, meaning money.

A much maligned man!

>> The left in all western countries should be pushing for much tighter
>> monitoring of the finances of political parties.
>That will teach a lot of how big money is buying power, but the left should
>not fall into the trap, believing sophisticated laws could stop this
>process.
>Johannes

Yes, I think that is right. Laws cannot abolish the tendency for capital to try to control politics. But well designed laws may set up a number of trip wires which will restrict its freedom of manoeuvre, and cause disruption when its agents are caught out.

I see the latest is that Angela Merkel may be implicated as well as Schaeuble, in that she was head of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in 1994 when secret funds were used there too to finance the CDU campaign.

Who can they elect as party head who they are sure will be clean? It appears to have been a whole way of life!

Chris Burford

London