Marx and Equality (Was: Why Decry the Wealth Gap?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 10:44:24 PST 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>Please, sir. Does this mean that after the revolution our weekly
>diet will be (per person):
>
>7 pounds of wheat flour
>1 cans of evaporated milk
>2 pounds of cabbage
>1/2 pounds of spinach
>6 pounds of dried navy beans.

God no. I'm not a hair shirt kind of guy at all. After the revo, arugula & goat cheese for all (though Michael Perelman can stick with black beans and brown rice if he likes). I was trying to point out the problem with the use of "needs" in the classic from each/to each formula, since human needs, after the very basics, are very complex and plastic. Lots of reds don't like talking about desire, but I think they should.

Doug