Marx and Equality (Was: Why Decry the Wealth Gap?)

Thu Jan 27 10:52:39 PST 2000

>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>>Please, sir. Does this mean that after the revolution our weekly
>>diet will be (per person):
>>
>>7 pounds of wheat flour
>>1 cans of evaporated milk
>>2 pounds of cabbage
>>1/2 pounds of spinach
>>6 pounds of dried navy beans.
>
>God no. I'm not a hair shirt kind of guy at all. After the revo,
>arugula & goat cheese for all (though Michael Perelman can stick
>with black beans and brown rice if he likes). I was trying to point
>out the problem with the use of "needs" in the classic from each/to
>each formula, since human needs, after the very basics, are very
>complex and plastic. Lots of reds don't like talking about desire,
>but I think they should.
>
>Doug

Chez Panisse Restaurant Downstairs Dinner Menu Thursday, January 27 $59

Frisée aux lardons with foie gras, hazelnuts, and Banyuls vinegar Chino Ranch salsify and wild mushroom soup Grilled Willis Ranch pork loin with mustard, blood orange, and cornichons; glazed turnips and Kabocha squash purée Red wine pear feuilleté

...cost: 70% of average daily U.S. GDP per capita