Polo wars (replies to Justin, Jim F, Carl, Rob.)

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Fri Jan 28 10:00:23 PST 2000

> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:42:59 EST
> From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>

> >Hey, Carl - do you think the development of the fields of public
> >relations and advertising had anything to do with the development of
> >those phenomena frequently denounced as "postmodernism"?

> Do I think that PR and advertising have contributed to the debasement and
> unreliability of language? No question about about it. Do I think that
> what is "denounced as 'postmodernism'" has done anything to rectify this
> abuse or holds the potential to do so? No, I do not.

so pomoismus is merely, in part, a symptom of this debasement of language which only exacerbates that contributory cause, rather than, say, providing conceptual frameworks for think- ing about it--maybe even 'engaging' with it? there's something so peculiar about 'it' that it eludes even dialectics? that's a bit much, don't you think?

cheers, t