Now Stiglitz makes more trouble!

Fri Jan 28 14:46:41 PST 2000

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Brad De Long wrote:
>
>> And I shook my head. I looked back at the date on the cover of the
>> issue: May/June 1996. And I thought: Hasn't Robert Wade figured
>> out--hasn't anyone told Robert Wade--that today, as far as
>> development policy is concerned, Joseph Stiglitz and Lawrence Summers
>> are the "U.S. state"?
>
>And what massive, shocking changes in the neoliberal/monetarist model were
>brought about by the Joe-and-Larry-Show, pray tell? ...
>
>-- Dennis

That the U.S. Treasury and the IMF loaned a bunch of money to Mexico and East Asia to make the interest rate and exchange rate shocks produced by the Wall Street panic less than they would otherwise have been? (Admittedly, I think that they should have loaned more for longer periods of time at lower interest rates with less conditionality; but something was in this case (I think) a lot better than nothing.)

Brad DeLong