Desire & Scarcity (was Re: Desire under the Elms)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 29 11:33:03 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> But Carrol tells us
> we don't need to have a theory of psychology; blame it all on
> neurotransmitters, or don't blame it on anything at all. The
> revolution will resolve the Neurotransmitter Problem.

Come on Doug, you're a better reader than that. I specifically said (1) that neurotransmitters do *not* explain any problem at all and (2) [sharpening a bit] that revolutionaries and reformists *both* ought to recognize some limits to human knowledge. You seem to believe that human knowledge is infinite, and that therefore before we can act we must have a detailed map of all future social and individual possibilities.

Carrol