Desire & Scarcity (was Re: Desire under the Elms)

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Jan 29 18:31:36 PST 2000

I wonder if a theory of individual desires (as opposed to a theory of the social determination of desires) isn't about as unrealistic as a theory of individual dreams. Isn't asking Carrol why he is depressed similar to asking why he has certain dreams? I have as I am sure many people have had very perverse dreams. How could it ever be proved that these represent some sort of repressed desire? And repressed by what? And even if they are repressed desires, I hope that the communistsociety of the future does not encourage me to act them out.!

Michael Yates