the party in Millaud

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 1 11:56:42 PDT 2000

Joanna Sheldon wrote:

> >Lefty? From the info in the attached article from my local rag, Bove looks
> >distinctly like an old fashioned French rural chauvinist and champion of
> >petit bourgeois small producers v monopoly capital. But then these days
> >maybe that's as radical as you get.
> >
> >Russell
>
> Not as pure of heart as the rest of us, is that it?
>
> The Left's obsession with cleanliness threatens to ensure that it will
> never get a chance to get its hands dirty in that cooperative venture we're
> pleased to call a revolution.
>
> morosely
> Joanna

Seeing potential or actual friends as enemies is easy to do, and leftists have often done it. Seeing enemies as friends is *also* easy to do, and the left has done that even more often. (Read the accounts of the Shanghai massacre in 1928.) I know nothing of Bove so I'm not taking a position on him, but if he is indeed a "champion of petit bourgeois small producers v monopoly capital" then the problem is not that he is not pure enough, the problem is that when the chips are down he will be on the other side of the barricades or with the lynch mob hunting for leftists. Go back and read some of Chip Berlet's posts on populists.

Carrol