the party in Millaud

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 1 15:40:00 PDT 2000

Carrol,

You're so right, we must beware of false friends. What I worry about is that we'll have folks on the barricades (should we be so lucky as ever to find ourselves on barricades) checking everyone's credentials: "Are you or have you ever been a member of the Republican party?"

There are many barricades. Bove (who was on my side of the tear gas at Seattle) is very likely an old-fashioned French rural chauvinist and champion of petit bourgeous small producers, but I'm sure there were a lot of them in the crowd at the first Bastille day. What shall we do, turn them away because they favour Occitan over French, because they think women should take a back seat, because they want the Algerians out of the country? Any enemy of corporate encroachments on local democracy and good food is a friend of mine, and sort the differences out later. -- Vive la bonne bouffe!

We all have our standards.

Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com