Conf Board on living standards

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Jul 1 14:43:19 PDT 2000

>By JACOB M. SCHLESINGER
>Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
>
>WASHINGTON -- The long economic boom has pushed unemployment to its
>lowest level in decades, but more jobs don't necessarily mean higher
>living standards.

To which I might add this note from Wednesday's FT:

POOR LEFT BEHIND AS HOUSING VALUES RISE

By Victoria Griffith in Boston

The American dream of home ownership is being threatened by soaring real estate values that have worsened the gap between the haves and have-nots.

A study by Harvard University, published today, found low-income families -- even those earning 30 per cent more than the minimum wage -- cannot afford the rent on a two-bedreoom flat in any state in the country.

<end excerpt>

Michael