One, Two, Many Parties

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Sun Jul 2 15:46:51 PDT 2000

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 dhorne at telus.net wrote:

> Break from the dems to what? A has been consumer advocate who couldn't
> get elected dog catcher in the real world? We know what evil lurks in
> the hearts of men.

No, we don't, because the evil is not in anyone's heart, it's the systemic drive of capital to expand, reproduce itself, and trash anything in its path. Bill Gates isn't this malevolent demon or anything, he's the pure product of unfettered market forces: canny, pragmatic, highly intelligent, flexible, etc. But as some Southeast Asian sage said millenia ago, to fight a greater power you have to turn its strength against itself, i.e. use systemic means to fight the system. Nader is just a spinmeister for pitching Left ideas to the public, nothing more, and his innate austerity is actually a plus -- it'll prevent him from trying to build a personal fiefdom out of the campaign.

-- Dennis