FW: [Fwd: pho: Rifkin: The Age of Access]

Eric Beck rayrena at mail.accesshub.net
Wed Jul 5 15:01:16 PDT 2000

>Steve Perry forwarded:

>Jeremy Rifkin has another "big idea," which he describes in great detail
>in his new book "The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism Where All
>of Life is a Paid-For Experience" (Tarcher/Putnam, 2000).

I wish I had Rifkin's job: glean the zeitgeist from whatever media that's close at hand--in this case Wired, Tom Peters, and Fight Club--and then leak out some overblown prose disguised as "ideas." And, of course, endorse and deposit check.

But I was amused by this sentence from Jane Slaughter's (excellent) review:

>Many of the readers of this magazine doubtless spent some time as
>young protesters themselves, in the last great wave of youth
>activism.

The past tense proves that The Nation knows its brand niche.

Eric