religion

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 9 14:24:45 PDT 2000

At 03:45 AM 7/10/00 +1000, Rob Schaap wrote:
>G'day Bill,
>
> >Jewish 36,700 7
>
>Mebbe status/rank is actually an average of two variables - implying a
>group's social status can be so low as to drag it below their average
>income ranking? Then again, mebbe Doug's scanner needs a clean.
>
>And, anyway, what does 'Christian' mean here? Why the seperate billing?

they's call themselves "jiss christians" 'roun here honey chile. annoys the cotton-picken hell outta me, too Rob. (before anyone gets antsy that i'm mocking southerners. i'm not. i'm mocking appalachians hicks with the lingo. i was/am one)

but there ya have it. i have tried to figure it out for a long while. never forget the first time someone told me that they were christian. maybe it was in class and we were talking about religion and a student responded to a query about her religion with "i'm a christian" so i set about trying to find out what denomination! methodist? baptist? seventh day? ha ha ha.

i would assume it's because the churches they attend are not affiliated with a denomination. it's the "the loaves and fishes church of christ" or somesuch. my only explanations is this: in the states there are a ton of different brands of baptist because, iirc, they often disagree (doctrinaire disagreement) the officials and so separate to form their own church. probably similar phenom here.

i don't know how much of it is an attempt to colonize christian as THE one right way to be a christian. it could be. that is what is at the heart of the dispute among baptists typically, as i understand it.

kelley, who was always very tolerant of religion and often a defender of the "religious" but when i moved south i got quite a bit less tolerant because people look askance at you for saying "crap" around here and it pissesmeoffgodamn son a bitcheffinshithole. :) (let's see if that'll pass thru flemings)